Samstag, 8. August 2009

Post ?? Second to last week at BMW

Monday started at BMW. I got to talk with Luis about music some more because of Bayreuth. It was nice. Otherwise, it was a fairly uneventful day at BMW.

Then the fun stuff begins.

Monday night I plotted a 3 mile running route using GoogleMaps Distance Calculator (very useful tool) through the Waldfriedhof at the end of Heiglhofstraße. It was a nice run, but then I came across the locked gates. They had locked the friedhof for the night. Me, in my.....wisdom, decided it would be feasible to jump over the gate. (The entire set up consisted of (from left to right) fence with barbed wire, a stone column with a flat top, the metal gates with the cemetary-spiky things on top, then another column with a flat top, and more fence.) There was a metal bar that connected the second column with the middle of the gates to keep them from being forced open from the outside. This provided an easy way to get up on top of the column from whence, it would be a matter of a jump down on the other side no problem. The plan worked great until it came to the jumping down on the other side bit. For some unknown reason, I decided to steady myself on the metal gate with my hands between the metal things. At the point that I jumped, I think my right hand slipped a bit and as result, I sliced my right index finger pretty badly on the gate. After realizing what happened, I quickly applied pressure with my other hand and refused to move my hands until I had help nearby.

Luckily, it was about a 7-8 minute walk from there to my apartment door, and as I arrived Ramsey was coming down the sidewalk from the other direction. After soliciting his help, we went in and rinsed the blood off from my hands, then released the pressure from the wound. Fortunately, it wasn't actually bleeding all that much, but enough that I think it fairly well washed itself out. At this point, I took some toilet paper, wrapped the wound and laid down on the floor with my hand proped up above my head to get the wound to stop bleeding enough to move safely. The entire time, Ramsey was there talking with me to make sure that I stayed conscious. On my descriptions, he'd already pulled my cell phone, keys, and wallet with insureance information out of my room.

After putting a second (wet) wrap on the cut we decided it would be best to head off to the Klinikum, only about 10 minutes away. Yay Klinikum Großhadern. We arrived, and walked into the Nothilfe part of the hospital where we sat for 15 minutes while the guy behind the desk filled out paperwork based on insureance info etc. Here, I was told that since I wasn't insured in
Germany, I'd need to pay 200€ in cash. Not having the cash on me, he said I could pay it later, then he asked me to sign something, which I also couldn't do with my writing hand all wrapped up in toilet paper. After this, I was taken back to their Operating Area where two nurses (student and teacher) assessed the wound, cleaned it a little, and re-wrapped it for me, then told me that the doctor would be available in about 25 minutes.

So, I went and waited outside for the doctor. At this point, I told Ramsey that if he needed to, he should go back home. The doctor took me back to the same room and had me lay down on the table with an extension for my arm. After asking me if I could feel this and that and if I could bend my finger this way and that, they preped for "surgery" and gave me anesthetic, which, me and anesthetic don't go well together. It was a local anesthetic just for the finger, but I started shivering quite a lot, such that there were a few moments where my right hand started shivering and the doctor had to stop prep for a second. Then after a few moments of nausea, the nurse put a stool on the end of the table for my feet. After a minute or so with my feet in the air, everything went much better.

The doctor proceeded to fully clean the wound and pinched my nerve with his tweezers for some unknown reason. Then he proceeded to put in the stitches. I could still kinda feel it, but it wasn't all that bad. He wound up putting 9 stitches in my finger. Throughout the whole thing the nurse was looking over me and making sure that I didn't close my eyes for too long.

After the doctor was finished with the 9 stitches he wrapped it up again. After that, they rolled me in a wheelchair to another part of the office where they made a brace for me. After the brace, they sent me to the X-ray rooms for 2 X-ray pictures. All travel via wheelchair. Once done there, around 1:30, they sent me home.

Upon arriving home, I sent an e-mail to Frau Garth, Herr Leistner, and Herr Schröter explaining that I would be arrivng later than expected and have an appointment at 12. I went to BMW to see if I could find them in person, but none of them were there, so I talked with Herr Glas and Severin Mayer. I gave them the Arbeitsunfähigkeitbescheinigung that explained that I can't work until after the 7th of August. They explained that because of the bescheinigung, I was not insured and therefore not allowed to go into work. At the appointment, they removed the bandages, at which point, I almost became unmächtig. So once there was a new bandage on the wound, the nurse had me lay down with my feet up for a while. At which point, he asked when the last time was that I'd eaten something (about 24 hours before). So he walked me to the hospital cafeteria, where I had a pretty good lunch and the cashier behind the counter saw my hand and had another employee carry my tray to the table for me because she didn't think I could with only one hand. From here, I went home and slept for a while.

On Wednesday, I got up late, and took the U-bahn to Marienplatz. From there I walked North for about an hour and a half, then realized that I should try to fix the issue with the StudentenWerk. I rushed back as quick as I could, but arrived about 10 minutes too late. Once I got home, I tried practicing trombone a little, but it didn't work out all that well because the quick change in directions kept hurting my finger.

On Thursday, I had another appointment at 10 where they took off my brace and gave me a sock type thing that is tied to my wrist. They also gave me the x-ray pictures and told me that if I wanted, I could go into work. After calling work, they said that I would still be uninsured, so it wouldn't work. So, I went to the Studentenwerk to fix the issue. What happened was, they wound up not taking my rent for July, so I tried to figure out why. They didn't know why it didn't work, so they told me to go to my bank and transfer the money that way.

On Friday, I went to the music part of the Staatsbibliothek and since they weren't too nice, I didn't stay. So I took the U6 to Frötmanning and to my suprise, the train went above ground. So, I saw the Allianz Arena, and the StadtWerk München Technische Basis. On the route back, I stopped at the Nordfriedhof to walk around a bit. It was a nice friedhof. From here, I went back to the apartment.

All in all, an interesting time.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen